What Throat Health Issues do ENT Doctors Treat?
For the most part, a sore throat is a viral or bacterial issue and they generally tend to settle on their own after some rest and time. There are cases, however, where a persistent sore throat is the problem, an ENT doctor may prescribe antibiotics to speed up your recovery and get you back to your best. The biggest question that most patients have is when they should see a throat specialist, and when a sore throat is something more than just a sore throat.
When to see an ENT doctor
It can be difficult to judge when a sore throat is just a sore throat. In the main, ENT doctors deal with conditions of the ear, nose and throat. It’s so common to have a sore throat, so you may not need to telephone for an ENT doctor right away. However, you should know when the best time to contact an ENT is, and you should visit once your sore throat becomes something even drinking water is affecting. You should also see a doctor about your throat health if your sore throat has lasted for over a week.
It proves in both cases that your sore throat is not a common one and booking that appointment in sooner rather than later is so important.
What throat health issues do ENT doctors treat?
ENT doctors cover all manner of conditions relating to ear and nose conditions as well as those of the throat. Throat health is so important, and if you’re not taking care of yours, you could find yourself in some major discomfort. Some of the throat health issues that ENT doctors can treat include:
- Tonsillitis: A severe throat infection affecting the tonsils, swelling the area and causing scars and pits in the tonsils if not treated appropriately.
- Halitosis: Chronic bad breath can be caused by a build-up of bacteria in the throat that breaks down over time. Chronic bad breath can also be caused because of consistent swelling and pus in the back of the throat.
- Dysphagia: Also known as swallowing disorder, dysphagia can be a symptom of an even bigger throat health issue and seeing an ENT doctor can help you to get to the root of the problem.
- Voice Hoarseness: A hoarse throat is often a symptom of a sore throat, but an ENT can help you to figure out why your throat is sore and hoarse in the first place.
- Thyroid/Parathyroid Disease: Your thyroid is located at the front of your throat, and when there are lumps and swelling in the thyroid, an ENT can perform a biopsy and figure out what’s wrong
There are more conditions that an ENT doctor can work on, too, but the best thing to do if in doubt is to make an appointment with your ENT doctor. There is no need to continue to feel sick and concerned when an ENT can put your throat health first. Give your ENT doctor a call if you feel you need extra special care.