We Moved

550 Water Street, Suite A, Santa Cruz
Our Santa Cruz Hearing Aid Center and Medical Office are now under one roof.

Start Your Path To Better Health!

What Headache Treatments Can Your ENT Doctor Provide?

Woman Suffering from Headache

If you are suffering from a headache, then your first point of call will probably be your own medicine cabinet at home. Taking a painkiller will usually do the trick. However, if the headache continues for a long time, or you start to get them a lot more frequently, it could be time to see the doctor. There are various reasons why we suffer from chronic headaches, including blocked sinuses, stress, and migraines. Thankfully your ENT doctor will be the best person to speak to about potential headache treatments.

Here are some of the most common types of headaches and how your ENT doctor might suggest treating them.

Migraine headaches

Lots of people are extremely frustrated by their migraines as they can come with other symptoms other than headaches, such as an aversion to bright light, dizziness, and nausea. If you see your ENT doctor, they will be able to prescribe you some medication that can help to relieve all of the symptoms of migraines. Some of the more commonly prescribed medications include eletriptan, sumatriptan, and rizatriptan. As well as offering these medications, your doctor might also advise you to try muscle relaxants or anti-seizure drugs, depending on how severe your migraines are.

Sinus headaches

If your ENT doctor thinks that your headaches are a result of blocked sinuses, they might suggest a couple of treatments to you. First of all, they will probably give you some decongestants and an antibiotic to try to remove any infection. If that doesn’t work, they might refer you for sinus surgery. The aim of this procedure is to physically unblock the sinuses and relieve pressure. This is a relatively straightforward procedure that can be done as an outpatient. You should be fully recovered within one to two weeks depending on the exact form of sinus surgery that you go in for.

Cluster headaches

Cluster headaches usually occur on one side of the head and are often located around the eye. They can be excruciating and, unfortunately, over-the-counter pain relief can do little to stop the pain. If you go and see your ENT doctor, though, they will likely give you shots of either sumatriptan or ergotamine. Blood pressure medication and a short course of some steroids sometimes do the trick as well.

Tension headaches

Tension headaches are the most common of all headaches, and we will have all suffered from them at one point or another. You should be able to relieve any discomfort with aspirin or ibuprofen, but if that isn’t possible or things get worse, be sure to see your ENT doctor. They will be able to try you on some stronger pain medication. They might also need to examine you, as these strong tension headaches could be a sign of an underlying condition that might need to be treated.

The headache treatment that your ENT doctor chooses for you will largely depend on the type of headache you are suffering from. Hopefully, this quick list gives you an idea of the potential treatment you will be given.